Beloved Voyeurs

Monday 23 February 2009

Growing old disgracefully

I am 27. I know this because it says so on my drivers license and my passport and other important documents. However, I'm sure this is some kind of practical joke, as I'm reasonably convinced I am still 15, I am in no way an adult, and that even though I do things like pay council tax, it's not really real, I'm just playing at being a grown up. When people ask if I have kids (which I do plan to do one day) I just looked shocked, then remember that this is not a ridiculous question. That, in fact, Wellingborough is full of people my age with children at secondary school. Thing is, I still think I'm a kid. I am yet to complete any of life's milestones... no kids, not married, no mortgage, no degree, haven't even really sorted a career out yet, although have eventually found a foundation I like. Looking at my mother, I'm not sure this will ever change. I just hope that my more childish traits come off as more adorable and cute and less lame and unhinged!

Anyway, commenced birthday celebrations on Thursday. Shipped Pete off to Retro-Beat at The Horseshoe, and had the girls (i.e. Caz, Chrissy, Pebbles, Carly, Tahnee & Isabel) round for an Ann Summers party. Isabel was selling off her kit as it was her last party before moving to Cyprus so we picked up some bargains. I bought the Deadly Desires and Entice basques:

All in all, was a good laff. Then headed into town to hear Pete DJ at Retro-Beat.


Friday was my actual birthday. Had a pretty lazy day, which was nice, with Pete spoiling me. I got money from various people, a great Debbie Harry tee from Caz along with an iPod sock (I've been carrying mine around in an actual sock), Madagascar on DVD, a bottle of Cava and some chapagne flutes from Mum & Paul... winner of the weirdest gift does go to my dad's mother who sent me £26 in £2 coins in a jam jar and 3 tea towels. In the evening Dad and DJ popped over with a very nice bottle of champagne so I spent the evening drinking that whilst munching a takeaway from Bentos.

Saturday, me and Pete went into Northampton to check out the Anne Frank exhibition at the Guildhall. My brother has been volunteering at it while it's on so we went in, said hi, and had a look around. Then I went to my opticians, finally accepting my Miu Miu frames have had it, and ordered a new pair of glasses and stocked up on contact lenses. Should get the new glasses in the next few days. Unusually the frames I chose are actually really cheap! I did spend some time lingering around the Prada display, but to be honest I think they were a little old for me. Much as I love diamante, I don't think it works on glasses until a certain age, and even then you're flirting with Dame Edna territory. Wandered back to Guildhall to find DJ, and stopped to look in a jeweller's en route. Saw a very nice platinum and diamond ring for £13,999. The rock was huge! I pointed it out to Pete. He commented how nice the white gold and diamond £750 one was (which, actually, it was). I pointed out that if we ever did decide to get married, I would be demanding a bigger and shinier ring that the one Matt has bought Tahnee (which is very very nice and has set the standard, since they're the first of my close friends to get engaged). We dropped the subject, anyway! I lurked around the Guildhall waiting for DJ, while Pete disappeared into the record fair across the hall. I killed time by reading the plaques on the wall, my favourite being a list of "Wives and Consorts of the Mayor of Northampton". Consorts... I do love that term. Sounds classy yet illegitimate! Once I did manage to gather the boys, we went to Buddies for lunch, since DJ had never been. For those not familiar with Northampton, Buddies is an American style diner in an old school in a backstreet. It's pretty tiny and always busy, and crammed floor to ceiling with tacky Americana... inflatable Bud bottles, bumper stickers, The Simpsons memorabilia. They do about 30 different types of burger, but I went for the steak, which I have to say was pretty impressive. Even had a dessert (typically huge) and spent the rest of the day feeling like I was going to explode. Went home for a nap and ended up sleeping until 7pm. It's a hard life.

Anyway, birthday festivities will resume next weekend. Me and Caz (and her brother, Martin) are having a joint birthday do. Well, we're gathering everyone in town and getting drunk... not sure if that really constitutes a 'do' as such but it should be fun. Not worked out what to wear yet though... maybe a basque? Well, I'm not that old yet, I might as well get em out while I can!

1 comment:

Allan Taylor said...

I was having the same thought this weekend- should I grow up? I feel like I'm just doing this play-pretend adult thing, but this really is happening. this is actually my life...

And I can't really imagine I'll change very much anytime soon.

What are your thoughts anyway?